Patch 4.0.6 is expected to hit the Americans in the face later today and then tomorrow us Europeans will get a good patch-slapping. This patch is not a content patch and doesn’t provide any new dungeons, quests or raids. No, this patch is just a tweak n’ balancing kinda patch which is supposed to bring all the classes closer together on the dps/hps-meters, fix millions of bugs, etc.
So how does it look for us hunters? Well, to be honest, it looks very promising. Survival is being nerfed like we expected but not too much. Survival will still be a good specc for competing for top 5 on the dps meters. However, Marksman is looking to be even better! My own testing using spreadsheets put Marksman basically where Survival is now on live realms in terms of dps and Survival and Beast Mastery about 8% below that. Keep in mind though that those numbers are only theoretical and exclusively shows a perfect standing-still scenario. In a real encounter Marksman’s dps will be closer to the other specs due to the difficulty of keeping the rotation perfect when you have other thing’s to worry about.
Other than the balancing we have some very interesting and noteable changes here, like being able to Auto Shot while moving! Another interesting change is the new tier 11 4-piece set bonus which we aren’t entirely sure how good or bad it will be yet. The community needs to do some more number crunching on that.
And of course a myriad of bugfixes which means I’m gonna have to update my guide to pet bugs, among other things. 🙂
The patch notes below are from MMO-Champion:
- Hunters can now use Auto Shot while moving.
- Arcane Shot damage has been increased by 15%.
- Aspect of the Wild, Aspect of the Hawk, and Aspect of the Fox can now be cast while mounted.
- Casting Trap Launcher, Distracting Shot, and Scare Beast now cancel Auto Shot when cast. This is to make it easier to crowd control creatures with Auto Shot while moving enabled.
- Concussive Shot duration has been increased to 6 seconds, up from 4.
- Deterrence now provides 100% chance for melee attacks to miss instead of 100% parry chance. This means that attacks that cannot be parried, notably some rogue abilities, can now be prevented by Deterrence, and the hunter will gain the benefit of Deterrence even if disarmed.
- Freezing Trap now has a PvP duration of 8 seconds.
- Kill Command’s damage has been increased by 20%.
- Kill Shot’s attack power scaling has been increased by 50%.
- Master’s Call now has a 35-second cooldown, down from 1 minute, and its range has been increased to 40 yards, up from 25. In addition, the visual effect is more obvious.
- Wing Clip now has a PvP duration of 8 seconds.
- Animal Handler now provides a passive 25% bonus to attack power, up from 15%.
- Aimed Shot weapon damage has been increased to 200%, up from 150%. In addition, the base cast time has been reduced to 2.4 seconds, down from 3.
- Chimera Shot’s overall damage has been increased by roughly 50%.
- Wild Quiver (Mastery): Chance for this to trigger per mastery has been increased by approximately 17%.
- Black Arrow damage has been reduced by 15%.
- Explosive Shot damage has been reduced by 15%.
- Hunter vs. Wild has been increased to 5/10/15% Stamina, up from 4/8/12%.
- Into the Wilderness (passive) has been reduced to a 10% Agility increase, down from 15%.
- Pets now have 70% of the master’s armor, rather than a different value based on which type of pet they are.
- Shale Spiders now correctly have a special ability (Web Wrap).
- Bad Manner (monkey) now properly breaks from damage.
- Dust Cloud’s cooldown and duration have been modified to make it closer aligned with Tailspin (same effect, different pet).
- Glyph of Concussive Shot redesigned. It now limits the maximum run speed of the target while Concussive Shot is active.
Hunter Bug Fixes
- Aimed Shot no longer ignores the Fire! buff when cast by macro.
- Camouflage is now breaking when the hunter’s traps deal damage to a target.
- Chimera Shot’s particle effect animations should now display correctly.
- Cobra Shot now properly increases the duration of the Serpent Spread Serpent Sting.
- The Focus Fire spell effect is now cooler than your best collection of green rectangles.
- Wild Quiver’s effect per point of mastery value should now be consistent.
- Before shooting, male undead hunters will no longer look away from their targets.
- Many rare creatures that went into hiding upon Deathwing’s emergence into Azeroth have made a return! In addition to finding new homes in a post-Cataclysm world, they drop new, improved loot, provide a healthy experience bonus, and respawn much more quickly when killed. Happy hunting!
- Pet families added in Cataclysm should not be missing talents.
- Pets should fight all underwater creatures, even if the hunter is out of melee range.
- Ancient Hysteria should not able to affect low-level characters.
- Ancient Hysteria now correctly affects pets.
- Embrace of the Shale Spider now provides resistances so that those resistances are not lost if this buff overwrites Blessing of Forgotten Kings.
- Ferocity-category pets in the dog and fox families now have access to the pet talent Charge.
- Mobility can correctly be learned by land-based hunter pets.
- Ravage no longer counts toward stun diminishing returns.
- Undead hunters now start with Revive Pet on the action bar.
- The pet Spellbook entry for Serpent Swiftness now shows its rank.
- Shale Spiders are no longer missing a special ability.
- The Shell Shield (Terrorpene) visual has been enlarged and should now be seen when cast.
- The tooltip for the armor value in the Character pane should now be showing the correct amount of armor granted to pets.
- If one of the bug trio bosses in Temple of Ahn’Qiraj is tamed, the encounter can again be completed normally.
- The gate at the entrance of Blackwing Lair correctly opens after Chromaggus is tamed as a pet.
- The PvE hunter 4-piece set bonus has been redesigned. It now reduces the cast time of Steady Shot and Cobra Shot by .2 seconds.
- All PvP 4-piece bonuses have had their flat stat values cut in half. Primary stats are very powerful in Cataclysm, so much so that players were considering using PvP gear in PvE just because of these primary stat bonuses.
- Many items with inconsistent stats (including Intellect on hunter items) or stat values have been updated. This includes items which were lacking a vendor sell price.
- Three new bracer enchants are available. They increase Agility by 50, Strength by 50, or Intellect by 50 respectively. Item level 300 or higher required. These new recipes are rare world drops.
- Engineer’s Synapse Springs now increase Agility, Strength, or Intellect (whichever is highest for the character). In addition, the effect now lasts 10 seconds, down from 12.
- Meta gems with the Chaotic and Relentless prefixes now have a requirement of 3 red gems.
- New meta gems have been added: Agile Shadowspirit Diamond (Agility/3% critical damage), Reverberating Shadowspirit Diamond (Strength/3% critical damage), and Burning Shadowspirit Diamond (Intellect/3% critical damage). These new recipes are unbound and can drop from any Cataclysm creature. The new meta gems have a requirement of 3 red gems equipped.
Apart from the hunter-specific changes I also wanted to draw your attention to this:
- Sound shouldn’t become de-synced during encounters with large amounts of sound effects.
- Sound shouldn’t cut out when there are a large amount of sound effects being played at once.
- There should no longer be delays on some sounds in select situations.
- What other classes should know about hunters on WoW Insider