Acherontia wrote a guide on the Petopia forums about how to tame beasts with special appearance and/or animations that disappear once tamed. Using his method you can retain special appearances like this one:
There’s one caveat to this by the way, if the pet ever dies or you die with the pet out the special look goes away.
Here’s how to do it:
Step 1: Find a pet with a buff you like.
Step 2: Trigger the pet’s appearance change, if necessary.
Step 3: Tame Beast, and spam the following macro as the tame completes: /script PetAbandon()
Step 4: If it went well, the pet will be gone, but you will “already have an active summon” when you attempt to retame another. Relog, and your new shiny pet will be there.
Step 5: NEVER let it die >.> Also, do NOT die, yourself, while the pet is out. I have confirmed that this will also wipe the pet’s buffs.
I tried it myself and it works quite well as you can see by the image below.
This is of course very cool and fun for us hunters but really, this is a bug. This has “bug” written all over it and it will most likely be fixed some time soon. Since we can’t really use the pets in combat because they might die and lose their special awesomeness this couldn’t really be considered game breaking. So even though it’s a bug, it might not be very high priority to get fixed.
Well I don’t know about you, but I’m gonna go and tame some special showcase pets for safekeeping! 🙂
You can find some inspiration for special beasts to tame in the same thread.
I did a bit of testing myself and came up with these constants:
- These special pets work as normal pets, with spells and talents.
- If they die, they lose their special appearance and revert to the normal pet look for that type of beast.
- Dismissing the pet or moving it in or out of the stables does not remove the special look.
- Entering or leaving a battleground does not remove the special look. But then again, if you die or the pet does, the special look goes away.
Update (16:24): Some pets do retain their special appearance even after death. Check the constantly updating thread for information on which pets have this special feature
- Aeg on the Consortium forum notices that rep-grinding some old world factions have become immensely easier. So far Thorium Brotherhood and Timbermaw Hold have been scouted as four times easier than before.
- The very useful MMO-Champion tool RaidComp has been updated to be accurate for classes current buffs and debuffs rather than for version 3.3.5.