Updated (2010/11/10): Blizzard has completly changed their mind on this and has recently stated that this achievement will be obtainable in Cataclysm. You can read more about it here. So this guide is no longer of much use. 🙂
Ok here’s something worrying news. A woman asked about the Insane in the Membrane achievement and how it’s currently broken on beta because some of the factions are actually missing in the game and as such there’s no way to gain the reputation needed. For example Dire Maul is totally redesigned so that kinda removes the opportunity to gain Steamwheedle Cartel and Shen’dralar reputation. Greg “Ghostcrawler” Street laughed about it and said:
“The biggest problem are the changes to the Bloodsail Buccaneers, that kinda put a bullet in that feat of strength for now. It’s fun to do painful things in WoW. If there’s a huge outcry for it we’ll try to put something equally brute in the game”
So apparently the problems aren’t just with Steamwheedle Cartel and Shen’dralar, there’s a problem with Bloodsail Buccaneers as well. Maybe this feat of strength won’t be achievable in Cataclysm after all. I imagine there will be some more questions about this on the forums in the coming days and maybe we’ll get some further confirmation. But for now, it’s probably safest to go all-out and get this feat of strength ASAP.
Very worrying news indeed. And today I found this blue post, which put even more nails in the coffin:
Insane in the Membrane is a feat of strength, not an achievement. Feats are things that you can’t be guaranteed to complete, which is why they’re feats and not achievements. Most of them are actually now impossible to complete, and this feat will join a long list of “you had to be there” moments in WoW time.
The feat isn’t being removed of course, those who have it will retain it, however; some of the requirements are, so it will no longer be able to be completed by anyone who has not already done so.
It’s possible that in some very specific situations where someone has completed the reputations which are being removed, but not others that will still be in the game, that it can still be completed. But it’s something we’re waiting for clarity on, and will let you know as soon as we do.
Okay so we have it definitely confirmed by two separate Blizzard employees now. This feat of strength is absolutely going to be unobtainable in Cataclysm. This is probably very frustrating for a lot of achievement hunters out there who are most likely halfway through this achievement and might never be able to complete it. I know I would’ve panicked myself I hadn’t completed it already.
But panicking isn’t very productive, let’s try to be optimistic and consider the last paragraph of that blue post. What factions can we actually still gain reputation with and which ones can’t we? By finding this we can inform players what factions they need to focus on 110% before the expansion and which ones they can put on hold for now.
First off I wanna recommend two sites with guides on how to obtain this feat of strength, I used them both myself and found them very very useful. Check out Insane in the Membrane FoS guide by Cogsworth and Massively Obsessed.
After some research I came up with this:
- Bloodsail Bucaneers – Status: Do it now! – Said by Ghostcrawler himself that it’s going to be impossible to gain reputation with this faction in Cataclysm, beta reports confirms this (this means Avast Ye, Admiral! is going away as well).
- Shen’dralar – Status: Do it now! – These guys are still hanging out in Dire Maul, but they don’t offer any Libram quests. Some datamining also suggests that Pristine Black Diamonds and Librams aren’t actually dropping anymore. Either of these problems makes gaining reputation with this faction impossible.
- Ravenholdt – Status: Uncertain – There have been some conflicting reports about the availability of the quest, mobs and junkboxes on beta servers. But the most recent reports state that the quest to turn in junkboxes is still there and that the junkboxes are still available through pickpocketing.
- Steamwheedle Cartel – Status: Uncertain – According to the latest beta reports, the one NPC which this reputation grind all depends on is still in the game offers the tannin quest, but it doesn’t reward reputation. Several reports states that the Gordok Shackle Key isn’t dropping anymore and thus the Free Knot quest would be impossible to do.
However, the pirate mobs of Tanaris and Stranglethorn Vale appear to still be in the game and thus you should still be able to get your reputation up to Exalted with each goblin city regardless of what Knot Thimblejack is or isn’t up to.
- Darkmoon Faire – Status: Put on hold – We’ve gotten news of new Darkmoon Card trinkets being added for lvl 85 and as such we can be pretty certain that gaining reputation with this faction will still be possible.
All of the above is of course subject to change and if you want to be absolutely certain then you should complete all of it before the 4.0.3 patch – So don’t shoot me if I’m wrong! 😮
I’ll keep this post updated if any new information comes to my attention.