Updated (2010/11/10): Insane in the Membrane and Avast Ye, Admiral will now be obtainable in Cataclysm!
Updated (2010/11/04): Added Herald of the Titans to the list of achievements going away.
Updated (2010/10/26): Added Insane in the Membrane and Avast Ye, Admiral! to the list.
On December 7th, the next expansion “Cataclysm“, will be out and you will be free to roam brand new content. New zones, new races, new dungeons, new raids, etc.
However, don’t forget that the actual cataclysm (patch 4.0.3) will happen to our world before the expansion is released. I expect this patch to be deployed one to two weeks before the actual release, but I’m no Boubouille so I could be wrong.
Patch 4.0.3 will bring the shattering of our world, which will put in all the new lvl1-60 content that Blizzard has made. This means that if you ever wanted to do this or that old quest, now is the time to do it. It’ll soon be gone, forever!
Confirmed to be removed in 4.0.3:
- Almost all old (lvl 1-60) zones have been revamped in one way or another, some not that much, most however are dramatically changed. Check out this video preview. Point is, if you liked Azshara, Darkshore, Barrens, etc… Go there now! Soon Deathwing will come and destroy everything you hold dear.
- Class-specific quests (such as the lvl60 hunter Rhok’Delar questchain). Most of them were removed in 4.0.1 already, but if you still have a class quest in your log or can still pick one up, you can be sure it will definitely be gone in 4.0.3.
- Scepter of the Shifting Sands questline – Having completed it will reward a Feat of Strength
- Zul’Gurub and everything associated with it, this includes the Raptor and Tiger mounts, the Raptor pet, the achievement for completing the raid, the fishing achievement Deadliest Catch and the ability to gain reputation with Zandalar Tribe. Do note that the Polymorph: Turtle book will still be obtainable in the game as confirmed in this blue post.
- Several lvl80 raid achievements, these include:
Insane in the Membrane – Some of the parts of this feat of strength won’t be doable in Cataclysm, some will. I got all the details for you in this post. Avast Ye, Admiral! – You won’t be able to gain reputation with Bloodsail Bucaneers in Cataclysm, effectively making this unobtainable.
- Deathcharger’s Reins from Stratholme – The instance is being split up into two separate instances and the mount now drops from the new boss Aurius Rivendare instead of the Baron.
- Glory of the Ulduar Raider & Glory of the Icecrown Raider(10 or 25-man) and the corresponding mount rewards. Do note that these mounts aren’t 310% anymore and won’t grant you Mastery riding for free.
Herald of the Titans achievement. While this seems like an obvious one to go away, it hasn’t been removed yet and I hope it won’t. I think this achievement will still be fittingly challenging at lvl85 since you are required to wear ilvl226 (or lower) gear. Of course it can’t be as challenging as it is now, but it won’t be steamrollable. And it requires a lot of preparation which will bring back several people to older content over and over. This is a good thing and Blizzard generally likes this kind of design.This achievement is now a feat of strength on the beta servers. 😦
- The Loremaster – It’s still there and has been altered for the better. The previous Loremaster of Kalimdor and Loremaster of Eastern Kingdoms have been updated to resemble the Outland and Northrend equivalents which has an achievement per zone instead of 500+ quests in each continent. Also, the meta achievement requires you to complete quests in the new zones
- World Explorer – Still there. Now requires the new Cataclysm zones as well as the old ones.
- Insane in the Membrane – Blizzard changed their mind on this, it will now be obtainable in Cataclysm.
- Avast Ye, Admiral! – Blizzard changed their mind on this, it will now be obtainable in Cataclysm.
Have I missed anything? If you find something of relevance missing, please let me know so I can update the list. Thanks!