Patch 4.1 is starting to look like it’s right around the corner. A release candidate has been put on the PTR and no drastic balancing changes has been added for quite some time. And today MMO-Champion says the patch will very likely hit next week. Now feels like a good opportunity to look back at the past few months of announced changes coming in patch 4.1 and round ‘em up.
Youtube didn’t want me showing this video, but Daily Motion thought it was fine.
I like Daily Motion.
- Two old raids get reintroduced as new heroic-only dungeons; Zul’Gurub and Zul’Aman. These come with all new encounters, achievements, loot, mounts and pets.
- Call to Arms – DPS classes will enjoy shorter queues for random dungeons and tanks will enjoy extra rewards and rare mounts.
- You no longer need to run a random heroic on a daily basis – Players will now get bonus rewards 7 times per week (while earning less than 980 Valor Points) instead of once a day when using Dungeon Finder.
- Guild Challenges – More rewards and achievements for doing things together in the guild.
- Guild Finder – A new easy system for finding a guild or new recruits for your guild.
- The current dungeons and raids have seen several tweaks (nerfs) to make them a bit easier to handle.
- Several new achievements have been added (including a feat of strength for exalted reputation with Shen’dralar) and some old ones have been tweaked. On top of that there have been statistics added for the new Cataclysm content.
- New archaeology rewards have been added.
- New cooking and fishing dailies for Darnassus, Ironforge, Thunder Bluff and Undercity.
- Wailing Caverns is no longer a big pain in the arse – The maze section has been removed to make the overall dungeon more accessible and quicker to complete. Nearby creatures and bosses have been adjusted to compensate.
- There have been new dungeon maps added for all of the Burning Crusade dungeons, now there are maps for every single instance in the game.
All in all there have been several minor additions that together make up for a much more convenient gaming experience. After this patch we can most likely expect much shorter queues for random dungeons and an easier time doing them. Not just because the content is getting nerfed here and there or because everyone will have better gear after just a short while. But because we are seeing buffs across almost all specs, specifically in the AOE department. Our AOE output in patch 4.1 will be closer to Wrath of the Lich King numbers than ever before in Cataclysm.
I myself am especially looking forward to going back into the old troll raids as new dungeons. New encounters is the hight of enjoyment in World of Warcraft in my opinion and this time around I’m gonna be ready to experience these new encounters from the dps, healer and tank perspective.
… and I’m hoping for one or two lucky mount drops!
Hunter changes coming in patch 4.1
- Multi-Shot damage has been increased by 250% (weapon damage up from 55% to 138%).
- Several persistent ground effects now display different visuals for hostile and friendly players. The following spells have the same visual effects for friendly players, but new alternate visuals for hostile players: Ring of Frost, Consecration, Desecration, Wild Mushroom, Flare, Ice Trap, Power Word: Barrier, Smoke Bomb, and Hand of Gul’dan. As a general rule, the alternate effects have a red tint or hue indicating they are created by an enemy player.
- All non-damaging interrupts off the global cooldown will now always hit the target. This includes Pummel, Shield Bash, Kick, Mind Freeze, Rebuke, Skull Bash, Counterspell, Wind Shear, Solar Beam, Silencing Shot, and related player pet abilities.
- Explosive Trap now has a new spell effect.
- Master’s Call now has a new spell effect.
- Deterrence no longer requires a melee weapon to be equipped.
- Tame Beast now tames pets to match the hunter’s level, rather than 5 levels below.
- The Happiness/Pet Loyalty System has been removed. Hunters will no longer have to manage Happiness for their pets, and the previous damage bonus for pets being happy will now be baseline for all tamed pets.
- The Feed Pet ability now instantly heals 50% of the pet’s health. Cannot be used in combat. Requires diet-appropriate food.
- Summoned pets now start with 100 focus, up from 0.
- Glyph of Mend Pet is now Glyph of Greater/Lesser* Proportion, which increases the size of the pet slightly.
- Intervene no longer costs Focus.
* My own addition. Both Greater and Lesser versions of the glyph have been spotted on the PTR at different times. Which one is the current one or if we only get one or both is unknown at this time.
Update (04/21): Zarhym confirmed that the lesser version of the glyph is the only version we’re getting.
Hunter Bug Fixes
- Distracting Shot and Multi-Shot are now properly 40-yard range (up from 35).
- Multi-Shot now properly has a 1-second global cooldown.
- Hunters will no longer* automatically acquire a new target if the current target dies in the middle of a cast.
- Aimed Shot and Steady Shot should no longer start casting Auto Shot on a new target when the “Stop Auto Attack” option is enabled.
- Auto Shot now automatically turns off until reactivated once Freezing Trap is cast on an enemy player.
- Scatter Shot’s disorient effect should no longer sometimes be broken by the hunter’s Auto Shot.
- Deterrence: The area damage of the paladin ability Hammer of the Righteous will no longer hit Hunters with Deterrence active.
* My own addition. I imagine this is what they meant because otherwise the sentence doesn’t make any sense.
Update (04/21): Confirmed.
Patch 4.1 brings several good bug fixes for hunters. Especially all the auto-shot related ones will have a huge impact on random dungeons with hunters in them, after this patch, we won’t be pulling random shit as much anymore.
This patch also buffs our AOE tremendously across all three specs (SV remains on top though) and buffs all specs AOE output in general. Which will help make dungeons and raids a bit easier.
And last but not least, we see that the pet happiness system finally gets removed. In all fairness it was really already removed with the introduction of Wrath of the Lich King, over two years ago. It didn’t matter back then and it hasn’t mattered in Cataclysm either. Now they are removing the last UI pieces that make up this “feature”.
And in other pet news, we no longer need to level our pets! This is fantastic for us who don’t have as much time to play the game but it feels a bit like some of the charm with taming pets has gone away. Hunters are now closer to warlocks than ever before. Bring on the robes?
Zul’Gurub and Zul’Aman hunter loot
With the reintroduction of Zul’Gurub and Zul’Aman as 5-man dungeons there will be some more loot available to all of us. All of the loot is ilvl 353 epics. Hunters who haven’t yet geared up in the t11 raids can enjoy:
- Bow – Mandokir’s Tribute
- 2H Staff – Jin’do’s Verdict
- Chestpiece – Breastplate of Primal Fury
- Gloves – Handguards of the Tormented
- Helm – Headdress of Sharpened Vision
- Leggings – Zombie Walker Legguards
- Shoulderpads – Pauldrons of Nalorakk
- Belt – Waistband of Hexes
- Bracers – Wristguards of the Predator
- Ring – Arlokk’s Signet
- Amulet -Amulet of the Watcher
- Cloak – Recovered Cloak of Frostheim
If you haven’t been counting, that’s 12 spots taken care off in 2 dungeons. What you aren’t being offered in these dungeons are boots, a second ring and trinkets. You can get ilvl 359 boots and second ring from being exalted with Guardians of Hyjal and Earthen Ring respectively. For trinkets you’re gonna have to spend some valor points to get the ilvl 359 Fluid Death and then for the second slot you’re gonna have to go down to ilvl 346 blue. The best options being Key to the Endless Chamber from Stonecore (heroic) and Tia’s Grace from Lost City of the Tol’Vir (heroic).
Apart from the new dungeon loot you will also be able to grab these two BOE ilvl 359 epics dropping from rarespawn world bosses:
- 2H Polearm – Mobus’ Dripping Halberd (dropped by Mobus in Vashj’ir)
- Gloves – Xariona’s Spectral Gauntlets (dropped by Xariona in Deepholm)
If you get all of those items then you are more than ready to rampage through all of the T11 raids.