Today we got another interesting update to the PTRs. This one includes a change that might make some of my post yesterday about gearing your hunter, irrelevant… Have no fear, for all of the guides will remain updated when new patches come out.
- Casting Trap Launcher, Distracting Shot, and Scare Beast now cancel Auto Shot when cast. This is to make it easier to crowd control creatures with Auto Shot while moving enabled.
- The PvE hunter 4-piece set bonus has been redesigned. It now reduces the cast time of Steady Shot and Cobra Shot by .2 seconds.
- All PvP 4-piece bonuses have had their flat stat values cut in half. Primary stats are very powerful in Cataclysm, so much so that players were considering using PvP gear in PvE just because of these primary stat bonuses.
The first change in this list tells us two things. One, that they are actually set on giving hunters auto shot while moving. Two, they do listen to our complaints. Because, one of the biggest complaints with hunters since the launch of Cataclysm has been that your auto shots are just out of control some times. And sometimes it’s ok, but it’s of course never ok when it breaks cc. I think this means that we’re gonna see some other fix to prevent us from auto shooting a new target when our current target dies.
I included the note about PvP item changes because I know some people were going for them even though it wasn’t the greatest idea… now it’s even less of a great idea.
The new set bonus
I knew when I wrote that gear guide yesterday that some of it would get outdated pretty quickly… and now some of it is.
Let’s see how cool this new set bonus would be for us though. If you’ve read this blog post on WoW Insider then you know we can do some quick math here.
Using Survival as an Example:
We fire Explosive Shot every 6 seconds, when it comes off cooldown. This triggers a global cooldown which means we have 5 seconds to do all our other shots in.
This means that we could at best fit 5 Cobra Shots in our rotation, if the cast time of each Cobra Shot was just 1 second… but that’s not a very likely scenario.
3 Cobra = 1.66 sec cast
3 Cobra + 1 instant = 1.33 sec cast
4 Cobra = 1.25 sec cast
5 Cobra = 4 Cobra + 1 instant = 1 sec cast
For us to achieve the two bottom goals we need truly ridiculous amounts of haste that we are most likely not gonna see anytime soon. Over 40% haste for 4 Cobras for example.
3 Cobras is very obtainable however and most of us probably already have it from just carrying a full set of 346 blue items.
Survival hunters will always have the 10% attack speed buff from Hunting Party and another 3% attack speed increase from the Pathing talent. This means that the base cast time of Cobra Shot before haste is 1.765 seconds.
So the first plateau that SV can reach is getting Cobra Shot cast time down to 1.66 seconds, so that we can actually fire our Explosive Shot on cooldown. To do that, we need just 6.325% haste from our gear.
Using our base cast time and subtracting the 0.2 cast time reduction from it we get this:
1.765 – 0.2 = 1.565 sec cast
… and with a decent amount of haste in mostly 359 gear you could get as low as
1.33 sec cast. Which again, isn’t enough to fit 4 Cobra Shots in your rotation, but it will allow for 3 Cobra Shots and 1 instant shot!
So, this means that the set bonus brings us safely into 3 Cobra Shots per Explosive Shot rotation and give us some wiggle room for messing up and eventually, with enough gear, even an extra instant shot.
It doesn’t mean you’ll fit another Cobra Shot in your rotation though.
- The Honor Commodities and Justice Commodities Vendors now sell raw tradeskill materials. These are not intended to be a cost-effective source of these materials, but an option for players with lots of Justice or Honor Points who have already purchased all of the gear that interests them.
- Once a guild hits level 23, the daily cap on experience gained is removed.
- Archaeology: The sell value of all common artifacts has been doubled, while a small subset of common artifacts have had their sell value increased far beyond that.
- Engineering: Mystic Cogwheel is a new Engineering Cogwheel gem which provides resilience rating and can be purchased from the Engineering vendor for 55 Honor Points.
- The gnomish racial trait Escape Artist now has a 1.5-minute cooldown, down from 1.75. In addition, it is now possible to use and waste this ability when not snared or rooted. This is consistent with other dispels.
Yay, we get something to spend our surplus points on again!
Another Archaeology change today, now it looks like they’ve fixed two of my complaints from my review of Archaeology. This is great to see and brings hope that they might fix some of the other problems with the profession as well.
- 50 Reasons Why Hunters Are Better Than Every Other Class – Yes, 50.
- A hunter solos Vortex Pinnacle heroic – Absolutely glorious.
- Mystery Files: Floating Cat Head – Jinxed Thought talks about a mysterious things…